SLP CFY | Articulation Speech Therapy Guide

CFY-SLP: the Survival Guide for Articulation
You've finished grad school (or are just about to finish grad school) in Speech- Language Pathology. CONGRATS! Perhaps you've just started your new position, and you're pumped to be able to sign that CFY-SLP at the end of your name. You should be proud, because this is a huge accomplishment. Soon, you'll be managing your own caseload. With this comes a set of challenges, and unfortunately, your new employer isn't going to hand you the "how to" manual. I'd like to help you out there. When I started working, I encountered some pretty challenging articulation and phonological disorders cases. I spent hours doing the following things: scouring the internet for SLP posts about various subjects, taking CEUs, asking my colleagues for help. I was overwhelmed. I had a HUGE caseload, and I didn't know where to start. There was so much information out there, but not enough time in the day.


Articulation and Phonological Disorders

I decided to create a "how to" guide. It's basically a "how to not do all the things I did" and "use what I found ACTUALLY works instead" guide, but that title didn't sound quite as catchy! In this guide I'll share my best tips on how to treat variety of articulation and phonological disorders. I'll explain my favorite ways to correct a lisp or a vocalic /r/. I'll go over in detail how I work on suppressing active phonological processes. I've had graduate students before- my goal with this guide is to provide you with the same knowledge and information that I provided to them. I'll also be brutally honest in the guide. I've made TONS of mistakes along the way. Write this one down: never, never ask a student with a lateral lisp to say the word "sit" in front of his mom. It was a very memorable session for me (and probably my patient's mom), but you know what? I learned from it. Don't choose words that will accidentally result in your student/ patient/ client cursing, and figure out how to effectively remediate a lateral lisp.




CFY-SLP Tips and Tricks for Speech and Language Therapy

My hope is that you will reference this guide, not only throughout your clinical fellowship year, but years later. This free printable is a taste of a product that is in the works, and will feature even more tricks, tips, and "DON'T DO THIS" advice for treating receptive and expressive language disorders.
I am continually learning new things. I certainly don't know it all, but I know I've made some improvements along the way. The absolute COOLEST thing ever is when you start to see your kids making progress. What we do is SO important. This entire guide is low ink, because I have this tiny worry that you might not have easy access to a color printer. So download it, sit back, and enjoy while drinking your favorite beverage. You can write CFY-SLP after your name, and that is the result of INCREDIBLY hard work. Now, please, let me help you absolutely crush your clinical fellowship year. You've got this.

Looking for some help with language disorders? The entire CFY-SLP Speech and Language Guide is available at my store.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Christmas Speech Therapy Activities | #slpchristmashop

Visual Schedules for Speech Therapy

The Advanced Grammar and Sentence Structure Program for Speech Therapy: Why Grammar and Syntax is SO Important