Let's Read Together

For those of you who don't know, I am reading- obsessed.
As a matter of fact, I have a library full of medieval history fiction and non-fiction books.

My love for reading started young- I remember reading a variety of series with my dad, including Babysitter's Club and the American Girl books. I can't imagine growing up without books- I was the kid who had my flashlight on way past my bedtime, just so I could read one. more. page. Before I knew it, it was hours past the time I was supposed to be awake.
As a Speech- Language Pathologist, I want my kiddos to have that same love for reading! I know professionally how important those literacy skills are, so I was crestfallen a few months ago when I asked one of my upper-elementary aged student what her favorite book was.
"I don't like reading," was the simple response.
"If you don't like reading, then you aren't reading the right book," I promised.
This particular student was the exact reason I created my newest book companion. During the IEP meeting, we asked her mother if she would be okay with her daughter reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. Her mother told us she believed her daughter would love to read this book, so I went with it.
I created a (very large) packet so that I could target all of her goals- and then considered how many other kiddos on my caseload that would enjoy this book as well. I came up with a pretty big number, reviewed their IEP goals, and started working on my product.

I'm pleased to say that my book companion has been a success- the going may be slow, but the kids are LOVING it. Here's a picture of some of the worksheets targeted in therapy this week:

At the end of the session, my student (the very one who told me she "doesn't like to read") exclaimed, "This was fun! Can we read more next week?"
Well, I'm not going to say no to that!
You can purchase my book companion at my TPT store. It covers a variety of areas, including:
-comprehension
-vocabulary
-pronouns
-formulating grammatically correct sentences
-sentence editing/ correcting
-category skills
-object function skills
-sequencing
-inference skills
...and more!
Don't miss this one. I know you'll love it! It's provided months of planned therapy for my students! Simply print and go, or store in a binder like I did. I divided up each chapter using index dividers with pockets. I store the answer keys in the pocket section, and let my students use dry erase marker directly on the worksheets covered with sheet protecters.


Thanks for stopping by, and be sure tofollow my blog with Bloglovin!
Please note: I am in no way affiliated with the book or author. You MUST first purchase “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” (by author J.K. Rowling) in order to use this product. This product is not a stand alone product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Christmas Speech Therapy Activities | #slpchristmashop

Visual Schedules for Speech Therapy

The Advanced Grammar and Sentence Structure Program for Speech Therapy: Why Grammar and Syntax is SO Important