Winter Speech Therapy

I have totally failed in blogging recently. I've been meaning to share what's been going on in my therapy room. I've taken pictures, had lots of ideas for new products, but... it hasn't happened.
I promise though, I have a very good excuse. The reason it hasn't happened is EXTREME fatigue and nausea. Now that we have finally shared our exciting news with family, though, I can announce that my husband and I are expecting a child this summer! Wahoo! It's our first, and I think it will be quite a shock for our little fur child, Moo!
Anyways, back to the speech stuff.

December was a great time to break out some worksheets from my Christmas Speech & Language packet. Pictured is the Santa's Favorite Social Skills worksheet.
This packet also includes worksheets to target articulation, writing sentences with target words, conjunctions, following directions, wh- questions, synonyms, antonyms, categories, and more. You can also snag this one at a discount when you purchase my Speech and Language Seasonal & Holiday Bundle. This bundle includes ALL of my seasonal packets!

Next up, is an activity you could really do at ANY time of the year. One my students is on the news team, and we've been working on production of /s/, /z/ and /s/ blends. I can't even begin to tell you how motivating it has been to "rehearse" what he's going to say on the announcements in our therapy sessions. He didn't even mind taking a copy home for homework :) I was able to get a copy of the lunch menu for the month, and we went through and highlighted all of his sounds on the page.

One morning, I was in a a bit of a frenzy. I'd started the day with meetings, but wanted to do something DIFFERENT and fun with my first group. Again, I hadn't had a whole lot of time to prepare. I'd had just enough time to trace some circles for the kids to cut out. We were keeping fingers crossed for a snow day, so it seemed like the perfect time to make "Speech Blizzards" while targeting vocalic /r/!

For one of my language kiddos working on stating critical attributes and comparing and contrasting items, I dug up a few articles online about polar bears and grizzly bears. (The polar bear has a "winter" theme, at least :)!) This naturally sparked an entire conversation on which bear would win in a fight. Sigh. Also, tried to get a picture of this one on a flat surface, but my student insisted it looked great propped up against the window.

Next up, is my Speech Group "Craftivity."
My goal is usually "What fun activity can I do/ make with my kids that won't cost me a ton of money?"

This one was fun! The kids loved it, one of my students insisting it was "just so cute". Again, more polar bear conversations were sparked, but this group really wanted to know how far and for how long polar bears can swim. We even found a cute youtube video of polar bears swimming (no seal hunting included). I created a visual "follow the directions" page with core vocabulary such as "on" and "more" for my students using AAC devices. After we completed the craft, we described a polar bear by stating the critical attributes.
February has already begun, and I'll have a post on what we've been doing soon... but please make sure to check out my Valentine's Day Speech & Language packet if you're looking for some no prep, low ink way to celebrate the upcoming holiday in your speech room!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Christmas Speech Therapy Activities | #slpchristmashop

Visual Schedules for Speech Therapy

The Advanced Grammar and Sentence Structure Program for Speech Therapy: Why Grammar and Syntax is SO Important