The Advanced Grammar and Sentence Structure Program for Speech Therapy: Why Grammar and Syntax is SO Important

TWO. EXHAUSTING. MONTHS.

It all started when I sat down and started thinking about how often I hear in IEP meetings: this student struggles with reading comprehension.

Now, I WAS working on comprehension goals, but I felt like I needed to dig deeper. What SPECIFIC areas of language could I target that would best help my students in the classroom? There had to be more answers out there.

 First, I read “A Case for the Sentence in Reading Comprehension” (Scott). 
Next, I read “Reading Comprehension Deficits in Adolescents" (Nippold). I was intrigued. I became obsessed.

See, it all made sense: every word, phrase, and clause in a sentence works together to affect meaning. Additionally, every sentence in a passage impacts the overall message. 

Kind of a big problem when academic textbooks are riddled with crazy amounts of modifiers and center-embedded clauses. 

Popular posts from this blog

Free Christmas Speech Therapy Activities | #slpchristmashop

Visual Schedules for Speech Therapy